Following the UCU (University and College Union) call for strike action from the 25th of November to 4th of December and UCU action short of strike from the 25th November to 29th April 2020, the Reading University Students Union (RUSU) Trustee Board has called a referendum in accordance with RUSU Constitution and associated Referenda Bye-law asking student members of RUSU to cast a vote providing their opinion on the issue. The results of this referendum will direct RUSU’s position on the strikes.
RUSU has invited all student members to cast their vote on whether they should support the UCU strike. The referendum will include four separate questions related to whether RUSU should support strike action or action short of strike to each issue separately.
- Should RUSU support UCU strike action over pension dispute?
- Should RUSU support UCU action short of a strike over pension dispute?
- Should RUSU support UCU strike action over pay and working conditions dispute?
- Should RUSU support UCU action short of a strike over pay and working conditions dispute?
Students will be able to respond ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ or ‘Abstain’ to each question. The outcome will determine RUSU’s position in relation to the upcoming UCU strike action and UCU action short of a strike.
VOTING FOR THIS REFERENDUM OPENS 10:00, 18th NOVEMBER AND ENDS 17:00, 22nd NOVEMBER 2019
RUSU does not have the obligation to act upon a vote that has a turnout of voting fewer than 1,000 students eligible to vote. However, the less than 1,000 votes may be considered when formulating polices and positions.
President of RUSU Molli Cleaver has commented on the importance of students voting regarding the referendum and upcoming general election “This is your platform to be heard so don’t turn down the opportunity to influence the future you want to see.”
This will be an online vote on the RUSU website. Here are the voting instructions as provided by the RUSU website:
- Login using your University username and password.
- Go to the Referendum section.
- Click the Vote Now button.
- You will then be shown the referendum question and a short description of the motion being voted on.
- To read the motion being voted on in full, click on Read motion document.
- To read the Yes case statement, click on Read case for.
- To read the No case statement, click on Read case against.
- You will see three voting options: Yes, No or Abstain
(Please note: the order in which the voting options are displayed is randomised for each vote. Please ensure you select the correct option).
- To vote, simply click on your preference.
- You will be asked to confirm your choice. Click OK to confirm your vote.
The RUSU website has a page full of all information regarding the referendum on https://www.rusu.co.uk/representation/elections/referendum/