With Halloween coming just around the corner and you are stuck struggling to come up with a costume idea we have a quick Day of The Dead DIY for you that will help you look great for this spooktacular evening!
The Day Of The Dead or Día de Muertos is a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico, in particular the Central and South regions, and by people of Mexican ancestry living in other places, especially the United States. It is acknowledged internationally in many other cultures. The multi-day holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died, and help support their spiritual journey.
What is so beautiful about this event is that instead of the family mourning in the traditional black funeral setting it is a celebration of colour and the life of the person who has been lost. If you are keen to stand out in the crowd this Halloween then this might be the costume for you!
What You Will Need:
- Headband or Top Hat – if you look online for Day of The Dead the majority of the men have decorated hats
- Superglue or Glue Gun
- Coloured Card or Paper
- Printable of Skelton Hands – Google has lots of these so it is up to you on which you use
- Flower Template In A Variety Of Sizes To Copy
- Start by drawing out your flowers on your coloured card or paper and then cut out your hands and flowers.
- Glue the hands to a spare piece of card to reinforce them and when dry cut them out as before.
- Once you have finished cutting, arrange the flowers how you would like them e.g alternating scale and colours. Be sure to bend the petals up as this will give you a more 3D effect.
- Glue the flowers together and then begin arranging them on the headband or hat, when you are happy begin glueing them with the superglue or hot glue.
- Leave to dry and start bending your skeleton hands fingers to the desired effect. Then glue them to the sides of your headband or hat and attach the fingers to the flowers and leave to dry!
Slap on some skeleton face paint and you are ready to party! You can add other pieces to this basic piece to give it your own personal style like cut out leaves, glitter, beads even more cut outs of insects. You can easily adapt this to an everyday piece by removing the hands . Hope this helps you with you costume ideas and have a happy Halloween. Let us know if you would like to see more DIY’s by commenting below.