More than just a look…
I knew this would get the thumbs up from my editor (Ari Carrington xx), but I wanted this to represent more than simply an obscene amount of highlighter and glitter. June was Pride month, so looking back on that I’m here with a bright and sparkly tutorial — a celebration of all things LGBTQIA+. Shout out to all those lesbian, gay, bi*, trans*, questioning/queer, Intersex, ace, and beyond folk out there. I want this article to remind you all to shine, be as bold as you like and not care about the people who decide that hatred and bigotry are justified. This is a reminder to support your community because exclusion only breeds more exclusion.
Queer history & Queer futures
This month had me looking forward to London pride parade on the 8th July, and Reading pride on the 3rd September, but the month also saw the anniversary of the Pulse shooting on the 12th June 2016. From Marsha P. Johnson at Stonewall in 1969 to all the pride parades we see today, a lot has changed, but there is still more that can be done: sign petitions, go to marches, protect your friends, and make new ones. Shout about the injustice that you hear and when there are developments, such as Taiwan passing same-sex marriage this year, question those who have not yet done so and keep pushing for more. Make sure a couple can not only marry, but keep their jobs, get a loan for a house, not get arrested and even have a child who will grow up in a world well educated in all things LGBT+. So with this look, I wanted to make a statement — when the sun shines on me. I glow right back at it.
I will provide an exhaustive list of products at the end if you’re curious, but let’s start with the process:
- Prime your skin, but start off glowing by adding a little glitter powder
- Normal foundation? That isn’t enough. Take that highlighter and rub it all over your face
- Sparkly blue eyeliner — line your eyes and the upper crease
- Fill in your brows with gold glitter eyeliner that you’re looking for an excuse to use up
- The eyes need more glitter so just fill in that nice cat eye going on there. Add some glitter lip gloss whilst you’re at it!
- Thinking about it, the lips could be bigger. Add some highlighter to them. You should be so sparkly at this point that you’re practically bleeding glitter. Show that off with some traces of rich, purple glitter
- Finally, add some stars on the cheeks and the brows. More is more, as they say
Now go forth and shine bright!
Primer: NYX Photo loving primer
Highlighter: e.l.f Baked Highlighter
Eyeliner, blue: No7 Stay Precise Liquid Liner. You can also use Barry M Bold Waterproof Eyeliner
Glitter, gold & silver: Colour Couture. You can also use any of Barry M’s range of Glitter dust
Eyeshadow: Urban Decay naked palette, No7 eyeshadow & Revolution shimmer powder
Lip gloss: No7 High shine lip gloss in Glaze
Lip pencil, purple: from Kylie Lip kit in Vixen
Stars: Colour Couture