Words by Holly Fournier.
This chicken and vegetable curry recipe is great for a healthy lifestyle as it is incredibly nutritious for one meal. It is an easy recipe that I have developed myself over my two years at university. It is a little spicy, but you can take out the jalapeños and chilli flakes if you do not like spicy food, considering the sauce is mildly spicy anyway. This recipe makes three portions normally, so I like to store two in the freezer for times when I just want to make a quick dinner.
Ingredients: chicken breast (around 365g), one onion, salt and black pepper (to taste), tikka masala sauce (500g), a handful of red or green jalapeños, one red pepper, one green pepper, one cup of rice, one can of chickpeas, teaspoon of mixed herbs, teaspoon of ground turmeric, teaspoon of chilli flakes, two cloves of garlic and a preferred oil to cook with.
- Boil the rice in a rice cooker or in a saucepan.
- Cut up the chicken breast into small pieces.
- Chop the garlic, onion, jalapeños, red pepper and green pepper.
- Fry the chicken breast in its own frying pan until cooked. Meanwhile, fry the garlic, onion, jalapeños, red pepper and green pepper in their own frying pan until cooked.
- Mix the cooked vegetables and cooked chicken by pouring them both into a wok.
- Begin to fry these together for a minute.
- Add the tikka masala sauce, salt and black pepper, chickpeas (these don’t take long to cook so can go in at this stage), mixed herms, ground turmeric and chilli flakes.
- Bring to the boil.
- By now, your rice should be cooked.